Qoute of the Day

more Quotes

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Mock Orange Recipes

ORANGE MARINADE RECIPE AND MOCK ORANGE MARMALADE
I graduated from college with a degree in sociology, but ended up cooking for 12 years. I never felt that it was what I wanted to do with my life, but it sure comes in handy running the board & care home.
*******
I have been riding my bike around town noticing that all the orange trees are bearing fruit. Most of the trees you see along the road are "mock" or ornamental orange trees. Their fruit is very bitter and sour; not good for either eating raw or as juice. I had been told that they were good for marmalade, so I decided to experiment to see if I couldn't come up with some uses for these plentiful fruits. It seems like a shame to have them just going to waste.
******
Tonight, I used the juice of some of these oranges as the basis for a marinade for chicken kebobs. It came out great, so I would like to share it with you and encourage others to see what they can come up with.
*******
I am not going to give you precise measurements, because it can be made with all kinds of variations. This is a teriyaki like sauce with:
mock orange juice
raw sugar
molasses
honey
ketchup
mustard
garlic
soy sauce
curry pwd
Combine all the above in a bowl and let chicken set in it for about 2 hours. If marinated too long, it could become bitter or too sour.
I cut chicken into small pieces and skewered for grilling. Served over a bed of rice with a little marinade cooked and thickened to a sauce, it is wonderful.
*******
The ingredients can be varied in many ways. You could add pineapple juice, leave out the ketchup & mustard, add oil, use black pepper or chile pwd instead of curry pwd, leave out soy sauce and add herbs, apricot jam and so on. It is great on chicken, but I think it would work with beef or pork. The particular formula I used would be good for chicken wings.
*******
My next experiment was marmalade. I made an orange marmalade with pineapple. It took quite a bit of sugar, and was quite a bit of work; but I was pleased with the results. It has worked well on toast and I even used it to make cream cheese and marmalade on bagels. It sounds strange, but is good.
*******
The other thing I have done with the marmalade is use it in cake. I substituted it measure for measure for applesauce in my applesauce cake recipe with very good results. I am sure it could be used in muffins and other creations like cinnamon rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment